The program will consist of regular classes to study issues affecting dairy producers in today’s industry. The program is covered in six sessions that take up approximately 14 days over a year:
1) Training in public relations kicks off the program as the class learns about valuable techniques to deal with communicating an effective message for the industry. The session also includes marketing and promotion information as well as leadership skills.
2) The class heads to Sacramento to learn about the state legislative process and advocate for key issues that pertains to the dairy industry.
3) Participants learn about the California pricing system and other economic topics of interest.
4) Dairy Leaders head to Chicago to hear a national perspective on dairy promotion, visit the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and discuss risk management. A session regarding biotechnology (purpose and perception) ties the session.
5) The class heads to Washington D.C. to meet with federal agencies and associations, learn about the federal legislative process and advocate for issues that matter to the California dairy industry.
6) The final session is a valuable opportunity to learn about environmental issues and the constant efforts put forth to limit regulations and their constraints on the industry.
Through those sessions, participants will develop a more thorough understanding of our industry through communication, educational activities, presentations and team building skills.
hange this text.
- Attend all classes in various locations, including Sacramento and Washington, DC.
- Provide commitment from dairy owner or employer to allow class time away from the dairy.
- Spend time reviewing topical material distributed between class sessions.
- Provide own transportation to class locations or the airport.
- Be actively involved in milk production or an allied business.
- Deadline for Applications: March, 2021
- Interviews will be held in April, 2021
- Classes to begin in May, 2021
Western United Dairymen is very thankful for the Farm Credit Alliance and their support of the Dairy Leaders program.